A world-class international education prepares students for global citizenship and life-long success in today’s highly interconnected world. However, quality undergraduate programs across countries like the US, UK, Singapore, and Australia can be very expensive for international students.
This is where undergraduate scholarships come in – they make such coveted international learning experiences accessible to deserving students by funding part or all of their education costs.
In this article, we will look at some of the most prestigious, generous and available undergraduate scholarships for international students planning to begin their Bachelor’s degree in 2023.
We have compiled scholarships offered across a diverse range of countries – from Asia to Europe to North America – that cover tuition fees, living expenses, travel, health insurance, and more.
High school seniors and undergraduate freshmen starting their degree next year should look closely at these awards, which could fund their dreams of international education and launch their careers on a global scale.
Benefits of Undergraduate Scholarships for International Students
Here are some of the main benefits international students can gain from securing generous undergraduate scholarships:
- Covers tuition fees fully or partially – Undergraduate scholarships make quality education accessible by easing the financial burden significantly.
- Allows focus on academics – With tuition covered, students can immerse themselves into learning instead of financial worries with Undergraduate Scholarships.
- Opportunity to study globally – Undergraduate Scholarships allow you to get exposure to different cultures, education systems, and ways of thinking.
- Access to campus resources and networks – Undergraduate Scholarships give you access to campus resources and networks like mentoring, career counseling, and alumni connections.
- Development of knowledge and skills – Undergraduate Scholarships allow you to gain specialized knowledge in cutting-edge programs and subjects.
- Growth of personality and confidence – Being a ‘scholar’ boosts self-esteem and polishes soft skills like communication and collaboration.
- Strong career prospects – With Undergraduate Scholarships, you will have a global degree and overseas exposure, plus the scholarship tag help resumes stand out.
- Chance to make a meaningful impact – Undergraduate Scholarships empower you as a student to gain skills to better serve communities back home.
- Lifelong prestigious association – Undergraduate Scholarships allows you to remain connected with the scholarship awarding body that could open future doors.
Top Undergraduate Scholarships for International Students
Let’s look at some of the best undergraduate scholarships for international students for the 2023 intake:
1. Huawei Seeds for the Future Scholarship
Chinese technology giant, Huawei offers full scholarships for students from select countries to complete their Bachelor’s degree at one of 12 top Chinese universities as part of the Seeds for the Future program.
The scholarship covers tuition fees, accommodation, living stipends, academic fees, medical insurance, travel costs, and even Chinese language training before the program starts. Upon graduation, students may also receive lucrative job offers at Huawei.
Eligibility: Applicants from Kenya, South Africa, Tunisia, Uganda, and other African countries. Outstanding academic performance, IELTS/TOEFL scores, and passion for technology.
2. Chevening Scholarships
The prestigious Chevening Scholarships are offered by the UK government to outstanding international students from over 160 eligible countries. The scholarship provides end-to-end funding for a wide range of undergraduate degree programs at any UK university.
Chevening covers tuition fees, a monthly stipend for living expenses, economy-class air tickets, additional grants for research or study materials, visa application fees, medical insurance, and more.
Eligibility: Consistently strong academic grades, proven leadership skills, social impact potential, work experience, British embassy recommendation, etc.
3. Türkiye Burslari Scholarship Program
This fully funded scholarship is offered by the Turkish government for international students who wish to pursue a bachelor’s degree at top universities in Turkey.
The scholarship covers tuition fees, university accommodation, a monthly stipend of $160 for meals, $85 for personal expenses, and health insurance. High-achieving students can re-apply for master’s and Ph.D. scholarships after graduation.
Eligibility: Students from all countries are eligible. Minimum 70% grades in school, health fitness certificate, and documents attesting outstanding talent.
4. University of Melbourne National Scholarship
Outstanding students can earn the prestigious National Scholarship to study an undergraduate course at the University of Melbourne, which is the top-ranked university in Australia.
The scholarship covers full tuition fees, standard on-campus accommodation, economy class air travel, Overseas Student Health Cover, and a tax-free annual living allowance of A$15,000. It is a highly generous scholarship.
Eligibility: Non-Australian citizens with consistent academic excellence, i.e., standardized test scores in the top 1% across all applicants. Strong co-curricular participation.
5. St Andrews International Undergraduate Scholarship
This prestigious four-year undergraduate scholarship is offered by the University of St Andrews in Scotland to talented students based on academic merit and extracurricular excellence.
The scholarship covers the entire cost of the four-year undergraduate degree at St Andrews, including tuition fees and fully catered accommodation. The university has a rich legacy and excellent student experience.
Eligibility: Outstanding academic achievement, co-curricular participation, demonstrated financial need, nominated by school/university.
6. Undergraduate Scholarships at NUS Singapore
The National University of Singapore (NUS), which is ranked amongst Asia’s top universities, offers prestigious and generous scholarships to outstanding international students for its undergraduate programs.
The NUS Global Merit Scholarship provides full coverage of tuition fees and living costs, including accommodation, airfare, and allowances. The Stephen Riady Scholarships also fully fund the studies and living expenses of deserving students.
Eligibility: Top grades in school, extracurricular excellence, financial need, good SAT/ACT scores.
7. Amsterdam Excellence Scholarships
The University of Amsterdam offers the Amsterdam Excellence Scholarships specifically for international students from outside the EEA pursuing their first undergraduate degree.
The scholarship covers tuition fees to the tune of €12,000 to €35,000 per academic year. For some students, it can cover the entire four years of the Bachelor’s program, making it an attractive funding option.
Eligibility: Non-EEA international students with outstanding academic achievements and extracurricular activities.
8. Harvard Financial Aid Initiative
Harvard ensures necessary financial aid is provided to all international undergraduate students admitted to Harvard College through a need-blind admissions policy.
Eligible students receive the required assistance through grants, part-time work opportunities on campus, and even bare minimum low-interest loans. Families earning below $65,000 do not pay anything for tuition, room, and board.
Eligibility: Based purely on financial need as determined during the admissions process.
9. Lloyd’s Register Foundation Engineering Scholarships
This scholarship offers substantial funding up to £50,000 spread over 3-5 years of study to international students from developing countries pursuing their Bachelor’s degree in Engineering at a British University.
The aid can cover tuition fees and/or living expenses as per the requirement specified in the application. It makes quality engineering education accessible to deserving students.
Eligibility: Applicants from low and middle-income countries pursuing Chemical, Mechanical, Civil, etc. Engineering. Minimum grades and English language requirements.
10. Cornell Presidential International First-Year Scholarship
Undergraduate international students entering their first year at Cornell University are eligible for the full tuition scholarship worth $50,000 per year and renewable for four years.
Scholarship applicants need to have extraordinary academic and extracurricular achievements throughout high school. Cornell has a highly globally diverse student body.
Eligibility: First-year international applicants to Cornell showing outstanding achievement in academics, activities, and special talents.
11. Yale Young Global Scholars Program
High school students can earn generous financial aid, including full scholarships, to attend Yale Young Global Scholars – an academic summer enrichment program that provides a taste of the university’s exceptional education.
Participants get to live on Yale’s campus for 2-4 weeks, engage with renowned faculty, prepare for college, and gain access to Yale’s powerful global alumni network. It provides a transformational experience.
Eligibility: Grades 8-12 students worldwide with exceptional academic achievements. Financial aid is based on need.
How to Get These Undergraduate Scholarships
Here are some useful tips for international students looking to get these coveted undergraduate scholarships:
- Research extensively – Identify scholarships you are eligible for and learn about all requirements and deadlines.
- Maintain outstanding academics – Build a strong transcript with excellent grades, rigorous coursework, and standardized test scores.
- Demonstrate a well-rounded personality – Take up leadership roles, community service, sports, and arts activities.
- Convey financial needs clearly where required – Include documents like tax statements, bank documents, etc.
- Prepare early and submit applications well before the deadline – Create outlines and drafts with ample time.
- Craft an exceptional scholarship essay – Showcase your personality, skills, and goals and highlight achievements.
- Obtain glowing recommendation letters from teachers, counselors, and employers.
- Ace admission interviews – Practice commonly asked questions and polish communication skills.
- Follow up diligently with scholarship administrators – Ensure your application is complete.
The extensive list of high-value undergraduate scholarships above showcases the sheer number of funding opportunities available for international students if they are willing to put in the effort to find and smartly apply for them.
While securing any of these highly competitive merit-based or need-based scholarships requires top-notch academic and extracurricular records, investing the time to produce quality applications can help students win these generous awards to access a world-class education without financial burden.
For a life-changing international undergraduate experience in 2023, students worldwide should absolutely tap these scholarships to make them financially viable.